Attention 4-H Members OLD BARN CONTEST Sponsored by Barn Keepers. Each entry will receive $20 Top prize $100
PURPOSE OF CONTEST: Tell the story of a McLean County Barn
THINGS YOU WILL WANT TO INCLUDE IN YOUR STORY:
PROJECT OUTLINE: Find an adult who has knowledge of a McLean County Barn built over fifty years ago. Interview that adult or others where possible to learn about the story of that barn.
- Where the barn is located, or was located if the barn no longer exists
- When was it built? You may want to relate some historic events or references to determine the age.
- Include pictures, as it exists now and if you can find some, from the barn’s past.
- Explain how the barn was used. Many old barns were built for one purpose, but the use may have changed over the years.
- Name the family who lived there when it was built and any other families since.
- If possible draw a map of the inside spaces.
- Relate any stories about things that happened in or around the barn and the families that lived there.
- Add any impressions you have about your research or interviews.
- Make two copies of your report, one for your records and one for the Barn Keepers to add to the permanent files at the McLean County History Museum.
- Submit your story in a three-ring binder. Please put pictures in protective sleeves.
- The story should be a minimum of 750 words, but no more than 2500, using a font no smaller than 10.
- WHY DO THIS?
- Each entry will receive $20
- Top 3 will receive: 1st place $100, 2nd place $75, 3rd place $50 (only one entry per 4-H member)
- Submit your entry no later than July 1, 2019 to McLean County Extension Office, 1615 Commerce Parkway, Bloomington, IL 61704
- Barn Keepers will judge entries and decisions will be final
- Contact Ron Ropp with questions at email@example.com or phone him at 309-212-2456